SPORTS ORTHOPEDIC MASSAGE THERAPY
Sports orthopedic massage is a form of massage to benefit athletes and most people interested in sports, fitness. The benefits of fitness maintenance and quick recovery from injury can now be taken advantage of at both national and local level. Sports massage is a specialty within the field of massage therapy that focuses on assisting the training process, preventing injury and aiding the healing process when injury occurs. Both the occasional athlete and the serious athlete, through to mums and dads, marathon runners, soccer players and gym goers can benefit from this treatment which is good for reducing soreness and fatigue during the training process.
SPORTS ORTHOPEDIC MASSAGE CATEGORIES
• Pre-event massage describes the type of massage used as part of a warm—up for an event;
• Between-event massage describes the type of massage used during multiple events;
• Post-event massage describes the type of massage used as part of the wind-down after an event;
• Preventative or conditioning massage describes the type of massage used as part of a training programme to help prevent injury, improve general performance and pinpoint and treat any problem areas at an early stage before they affect performance;
• Corrective massage describes the type of massage used as part of a rehabilitation programme to treat injuries and dysfunctions of the soft tissues and the musculo-skeletal system.
MECHANICAL, PHYSIOLOGICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF SPORTS ORTHOPEDIC MASSAGE
Stretches soft tissues, relieves muscle tension, reduces muscle spasm, improves flexibility of muscles and fascia, reduces swelling, improves the formation of scar tissue, increases blood and lymph ﬂow, increases the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the soft tissues, helps the removal of waste products from the soft tissues, relieves pain, stimulates the nervous system, reduces mental tension/anxiety, reduces the perception of pain, dictates the type of massage techniques used for the most appropriate influence on the client mental state, promotes conﬁdence, supports the client’s aims and objectives.
BENEFITS OF SPORTS ORTHOPEDIC MASSAGE
Increased healing of damaged or overworked tissue and muscles thus reducing recovery time and allowing a client to regain their health and fitness levels, increased performance potential, prevents future injury by identifying and treating current muscle weakness, restrictions and problem areas, post-event massage techniques help clear out waste and toxins e.g. lactic acid from muscles thus reducing stiffness and enabling a faster recovery that post-event rest, specific techniques e.g. cross fibre friction and muscle stripping help break down adhesions that can develop between the fascia of different muscles, thus improving muscle suppleness and mobility, enables muscles and joint structures to recover faster after injury e.g. the remodeling of scar tissue, improved flexibility, peak performance can be reached and sustained over a longer period, improves the range of movement of restricted joints.
*more information can be acquired through an individual consultation, please contact by phone 0 87 7070300 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
© www.massagetherapydao.com. All rights reserved.